Sometimes busing, biking and walking are not enough. There are many other options to reduce peak period traffic congestion, improve air quality through the reduction of work-related car trips, and to make alternative transportation options more feasible.
A variety of commute reduction programs offer more options to the reduction of single occupancy vehicles. These options include:
- CarShare. CarSharing is a pay-as-you-go car usage system. It lets you choose to pay the costs of driving only when you want to drive. The Boulder-Denver metro area has a local non-profit carsharing organization called eGo CarShare.
- Compressed Work Weeks. Compressed work weeks allow employees to work more hours in fewer days than the usual 8-hour per day schedule
- Flextime. Employees may be allowed some flexibility in their daily work schedules. For example, rather than all employees working 8:00 to 4:30, some might work 7:30 to 4:00, and others 9:00 to 5:30
- Guaranteed Ride Home Program (GRH). GRH provides a free taxi ride home from the office for employees who have an emergency arise on a day that they used alternative transportation.
- Job Share is a flexible work option in which two or possibly more employees share a single job.
- Reducing Work Schedules with Day-at-a-time vacation, Floating Holidays, Leaves of Absence, Paid Time Off, Part-time, Personal Days, Vacation buying/borrowing/sharing
- SchoolPool. The Denver Regional Council of Governments (DRCOG) RideArrangers program provides schoolpool matching. Schoolpool is a free carpool matching service for parents who drive their children to and from school. More than 13,000 elementary and secondary school families in the Denver/Boulder metropolitan area are enrolled in the program
- Staggered Shifts. This means that shifts are staggered to reduce the number of employees arriving and leaving work at one time. For example, some shifts may be 8:00 to 4:30, others 8:30 to 5:00, and others 9:00 to 5:30. This has a similar effect on traffic as flextime, but does not give individual employees as much control over their schedules
- Walking. Boulder has miles of pedestrian-friendly routes. GO Boulder/City of Boulder Bicycle & Pedestrian Map